Friday, March 09, 2007

WebQuests

I participated in one of our school districts workshops called Introduction to Webquests. Webquests seem to be yet another phenomenal way to get young elementary students focused on a meaningful task while using the web to enhance the learning in a way that textbook reading and the traditional classroom instruction could never do.

At this point, I have read enough from Alan November, Will Richardson, and David Warlick to know that the World is Flat and that there is a revolution happening through the evolution of the Internet. We have turned in a corner in history and these gentlemen seem to have a firm grasp and a good view of the possibilities and the implications these changes can make in education.

So, here I am. A teacher, a father, a husband, a brother, a son, a friend, and a life long learner. I can see that the boat is heading out and I really want to get on board but I am so overwhelmed that I am really not sure where the on ramp is.

What I have done:
1. Started a blog (But really I feel like I am writing to myself at this point)
2. Subscribed to a few blogs
3. Purchased a MacBook to figure out how to Podcast
4. Purchased an iPod to figure out how to use with my students
5. Reading constantly about technology
6. Attended a variety of workshops on Technology
7. Member of a Technology Support Group at my school
8. Created a wiki that really has not taken off yet

I know there is so much more, but I am trying to make progress with this learning curve. The challenge for me is that I feel as though time is running out for some reason, or that I am in some kind of race. Is it a race?

So with the wonders of the Web 2.0 I take yet another workshop on Webquests only to discover more great ideas and I am left with the challenge of finding time. Time between my family and work, the constant battle I am sure we all face.

3 comments:

  1. What a great start! You certainly have to start somewhere and you are starting off with a bang! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to learn and grow at your own pace so that you own the technology and not the other way around.
    The pace of change in technology is so fast that once you get on the boat you just have to hang on and enjoy the ride.
    The world may be flat but life is bumpy and you have to go by trial and error to find the pieces of technology that fit your class, your teaching style, and your own gifts.
    Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned about a tool at TCEA this year that I am anxious to try. A school district purchased iPods and TuneTalks for their teachers. You can plug your iPod into a Tunetalk and set it on your desk and go on with your lecture. You end up with an editable audio file of your entire lecture. Thought I'd pass that on if you are trying to learn to do podcasts. The Tunetalks run about $70.

    ReplyDelete