Friday, April 13, 2007

Reaching for the Stars

I feel like I am at the crossroads of my life, looking back at what I have accomplished and looking ahead at what I have left to do. Being at this point brings with it an infinite number of questions and the grand opportunity to reflect.

While loitering at the crossroads of life my children are in the fore front of all my thinking. How can I be a better dad? How can I be a better husband? How can I be a better man for my children and my family? I am constantly striving to improve on both a personal level and professionally.

~My meager attempts at being a good citizen~

Teach Tolerance Model Tolerance
Teach Humility Model Humility
Teach Compassion Model Compassion
Teach Respect Model Respect
Teach Accountability Model Accountability
Teach Cooperation Model Cooperation

Leadership traits I was taught while serving in the Marine Corps.

(Acronym)
J.J. DID TIE BUCKLE


Judgement
Justice
Dependibility
Initiative
Decisiveness
Tact
Integrity
Endurance
Bearing
Unselfishness
Courage
Knowledge
Loyalty
Enthusiasm




1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful. It made me remember a quote:
    "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly." - Richard Bach
    We are growing and changing til the end of our lives.
    I read something the other day about a Buddhist monk meditation that is to be practiced every day. You wake up and say to yourself, I could die today - not in a scared panicked way - but with the realization of it's truth and you ask yourself what is going to be important to you on this, your last day. It creates a way of thinking that causes you to simplify and cut through to the things that are most important to you. It makes you view your family, your possessions, and your job in a different light. If we could really slow down and take this to the level of our interactions with others - if we could think "this conversation is the last memory this person will have of me" - how would it change what we do and say?

    ReplyDelete