Sunday, August 12, 2007

Where's the Pause Button?

Corning Fountain

Today was just a spectacular day with my kids. Imagine if you will ~ 85 degrees, bright blue skies with cotton candy clouds, a colorfully landscaped courtyard, and the relentless energy of children as they dance in the cold chlorinated water of a 30 foot fountain. The slip preventative cushion floor was a perfect circle about 50 feet in diameter with the geyser directly in the center spouting welcomed water.

My son, who is 3 asks, "Daddy, can I share my toys with the other kids?"

"Absolutely, son. I think that's a great idea," I said with a cool smile.

I am blown back each day with the pure sincerity of my children. My daughter, 14 months, has perfected what I call the monkey walk, and endlessly watches the other children as they skip around the fountain. While standing in the shallow water she bends over to wet her hair and then smiles with an accompanying scream when she finds her brother running by while looking upside down. A moment I wish I had on camera.

Time is moving too fast. I can remember being a young child and it seemed just the opposite; hot endless summers. Can we just hit the pause button? Can we even just slow this ride down a bit? I would like nothing more than to hold my kids while I can and etch that feeling deep into my soul.

This summer seems to be coming to a rapid end and I never really accomplished any of my professional goals. For a while I was bothered with this but before I know it I will be back in the trenches again with my students fighting the good fight. For now, I am wrapping my arms around my kids and can't wait for the next giggle, butterfly kiss, or, "Daddy, will you pick me up?"

Being a parent is such an honor and I am so thankful for the gift. I only hope that I am doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment