Thursday, November 08, 2007

Will My Students Be Able to Blog?

In the midst of preparing for a New York State Social Studies Test we have had a chance to send out a few emails to our new friends in Thunder Bay, Canada and France. The students seem incredibly interested in using the ePals program and are very eager to get their first reply.

Also, I have been diligently preparing for my yearly Individualized Performance Review, commonly known as the IPR Project. The premise behind this district initiative is to engage tenured teachers in the opportunity for professional growth where we as educators have an option in what we would like to focus on for the year.

This year I am going to focus on student blogging. I have been gathering my resources and trying to come up with a constructive plan that will allow for the greatest success possible. At this point, I am trying to get District approval for the Project. If this happens I will then need to gather support from the parents to allow their children to participate.

There has been a great deal of work involved to get to this point. I have gathered and read through several research articles, read through Will Richardson's Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and other Powerful Webtools for Classrooms, used Susan Pedro's parent letter as an outline for writing my letter to the parents, read through numerous blogs and wikis, and put a plan together "on paper" that I presented to the administration.

In a couple of days I will find out if I will be able to move forward with this exciting project. Wish me luck!


Research Summary - November 5, 2007

Marked Documents


Distance Education Trends: Integrating new technologies to foster student interaction and collaboration
Yoany Beldarrain. Distance Education. Melbourne: Aug 2006. Vol. 27, Iss. 2; p. 139 (15 pages)
BLOG IT: AN INNOVATIVE WAY TO IMPROVE LITERACY
Linda Wells. Reading Today. Newark: Aug/Sep 2006. Vol. 24, Iss. 1; p. 40 (1 page)
How To...Blog!
Linda Lindroth. Teaching Pre K - 8. Norwalk: Aug/Sep 2006. Vol. 37, Iss. 1; p. 25 (1 page)
Blogs and Blogging, Part II
Annette Lamb, Larry Johnson. School Library Media Activities Monthly. Baltimore: May 2006. Vol. 22, Iss. 9; p. 40 (5 pages)
'Blogs' Catching On as Tool for Instruction
Rhea R Borja. Education Week. Bethesda: Dec 14, 2005. Vol. 25, Iss. 15; p. 1 (2 pages)
educational blogging
Laurel A Clyde. Teacher Librarian. Seattle: Feb 2005. Vol. 32, Iss. 3; p. 43 (3 pages)
Using weblogs in the classroom
Greg Weiler. English Journal (High school edition). Urbana: May 2003. Vol. 92, Iss. 5; p. 73

1 comment:

  1. You have been a busy teacher. I've been intrigued by ePals for the past 6 months and really want to get something going there. Congrats on the NYSCATE award...absolutely Awesome! I need some tips to get me moving forward with this program. Do you have any suggestions after your experience.

    ReplyDelete