Saturday, March 22, 2008

Constantly Developing New Ideas

A line from the book A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink has me wondering.

"The forces of Abundance, Asia, and Automation turn goods and services into commodities so quickly that the only way to survive is by constantly developing new innovations, inventing new categories, and (in Paola Antonelli's lovely phrase) giving the world something it didn't know it was missing."
This is pretty much where I am at- always on the edge... "thinking" of virtually every aspect of my life whether it's in or out of the classroom. However, life long learning has its unforeseen consequences of never really reaching a final destination, to constantly strive for something more and never really anchoring the boat.

I do believe it's about balance, but inevitably there really is no such thing (At least I haven't found it yet). There are times when I walk away from the laptop, unplug or power down but my mind is still in full gear.

The hook is in deep and it's not coming out.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that it's not about the final destination but rather to enjoy the journey along the way, and I am...really. I think I am just overwhelmed and realizing it truly is a "life long" journey. There is a lengthy road ahead where we will "all" have to solve problems that don't yet exist using technologies that have yet to be invented. We are also charged with solving the problems of the generations before us, whether they be environmental, economic, or racial.

A bit of a rant I know, but the distant memories of my childhood seem to be flooding my fore thinking where time once seemed endless. My days were spent in the depths of the seclusive creek building forts, turning over slippery rocks to see what lies beneath, and exploring well beyond the boundaries of my yard with my trusty canine companion, Tasha. There still is a part of me that longs for a moment of those remembered days...ordinary days without having to "constantly be thinking about developing new ideas, inventing new categories, or trying to give the world something it didn't know it was missing."

Conceptually, I understand that we are all in this together and each of us has to share the load if we are ever going to make real change, substantial change that will benefit our children. I will keep on keeping on but it sure would be nice to hit the pause button just for a moment; or maybe even the rewind button.

I wonder, how do you find a balance during the extraordinary times we are living in?

1 comment:

  1. I think in the end it has to be community that comes to the rescue. I keep waiting for people to participate though and it seems to be taking it's time. Sharing the load would be great. The question is, could we stop running headlong into the future and opening new presents even if we tried?

    ReplyDelete