Monday, April 07, 2008

"Why Not Use the English Language?"

A huge Thank You to Joan, a professor at BCC, for inviting me to teach her business class about the mighty Web 2.0. Also, I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to Joan's students...I am looking forward to meeting with you again sometime, perhaps online.

Preparing for this class really brought me through a deep reflective process where I methodically used my resources to try and put a succinct outline together that would allow for those interested to go deep in their learning.

I found some fantastic resources such as Mike Sansone's ConverStations, Will Richardson's wiki, Dean Shareski's wiki, and David Jakes new wiki. I spent hours sifting through each of these sites trying to piece the puzzle together for the audience that I was presenting to and in doing so I learned so much. There is a saying that we throw around our school district, "The person doing the work does the learning," and I must say that this process sure forced me to do just that.

On a side note, a three-hour lesson is much different than the 15-minute chunks of time in my elementary class, and in some cases this class felt like a marathon. While I was talking I found myself wondering, "Am I boring them to death or are they OK with this format of instruction?" I wanted desperately to get the class producing content and playing around through Our Wiki and provide them the opportunity to join the global conversation.

However, having the "hallway conversations" for me was worth the price of admission. Not only did Kevin present a fantastic idea for My Starbuck's Idea, but also Joan stayed late after class and helped me "see" how to think about taking pictures. In the end there were a few that created blogs and perhaps the Guitar Player of the group will be found within the blogosphere soon enough, we know Zack surely can be found. You go Zack.

Oh by the way if you're interested ~ Kevin's Starbuck Idea: "Instead of using the words tall, grande, and venti why not use the English language instead?" Makes sense to me.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, using brand-specific terms helps strengthen the awareness of the brand. (Look at McDonald's for an even more powerful example.)

    Neat blog! I'm glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete