Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Notebook Know How

First book I am reading this summer ~ Notebook Know How ~ Strategies for the Writer's Notebook by Aimee Buckner.

I have actually had this book for awhile and read the first couple of chapters already and have now started to reread. I dabbled with the Writer's Notebook last year with my fifth grade class and found that it really took a life of its own and did indeed become a treasure for my students.

I have attempted to live like a writer myself in that I try to find the beauty or symbolism in everything around me. The problem is I haven't really taken the time to write as much as I reflect. I don't know, it's all about balance right? So this summer I have decided to start my own Writer's Notebook that I intend to share with next years group of students.

What a Writer's Notebook anyway? Well, according to Aimee:

The purpose of a notebook is to provide a place for students to practice writing. It's a place for them to generate text, find ideas, and practice what they know about spelling and grammar.
This book seems to hold promise and is filled with little gems that grabs you and won't let go. For instance, here is a line from page 7 that has me hooked for this summer's little writing experiment:
I now realize what writers have been trying to tell us "nonwriters" - that we shouldn't write for significance, but rather that we should write as a habit. Sometimes we'll write something significant and sometimes we won't. It's the act of writing-the practice of generating text and building fluency-that leads writers to significance.
Keeping a notebook isn't something you "get." It's not a science, there is no one right way. Keeping a notebook is a process. It's something that "gets" you- leads you from one thought to another until you, too, experience the writer's joy of discovering something you didn't know you knew.
Fantastic ... So, I have purchased a journal and have begun the process and there is something very comfortable about writing on paper these days.

5 comments:

  1. I'm reading this book too and find it quite fascinating. I like your review of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book too. Her writing is so special and she shares the joy of teaching. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's something that "gets" you- leads you from one thought to another until you, too, experience the writer's joy of discovering something you didn't know you knew.

    I love to write myself and would love to share this with my students! When I read that I knew exactly what they mean! I want to be able to teach that to my kids! I have recently started the daily 5 and after reading your post just ordered this book too! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's something that "gets" you- leads you from one thought to another until you, too, experience the writer's joy of discovering something you didn't know you knew."

    I completely understand that quote! I was interested in buying this book and as soon as I read that I ordered it! I know exactly what the writer means and I want to teach my students that :) I am so excited to read it! I recently started the daily 5 and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's something that "gets" you- leads you from one thought to another until you, too, experience the writer's joy of discovering something you didn't know you knew."

    I completely understand that quote! I was interested in buying this book and as soon as I read that I ordered it! I know exactly what the writer means and I want to teach my students that :) I am so excited to read it! I recently started the daily 5 and I love it!

    ReplyDelete