Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Yet Another Pebble on the Pile

I have been reading Here Come's Everybody written by Clay Shirky and have thoroughly enjoyed the brain stretch. In an effort to Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood I have collected a bit of information on this book and Clay.
  • Here is Will Richardson's collective work about Clay Shirky that dates back as far as 2003.
  • Here's a collection of videos of Clay Shirky using the Pixsy Search Engine ~ I especially enjoyed the Colbert interview on Comedy Central.

I am going to stop there ... this is a fine example of information overload.

Oh yeah, the book - after spending a great deal of time sifting through the links above I wonder what else there is to say? If I can't say anything worth linking to maybe I shouldn't say it at all. Nah. Let's put just one more pebble on the pile ~ a line I lifted from Merlin Mann's quote found on page 94.

I read with pen in hand and write all over the pages and my copy of this book is a mess. I circle phrases that are interesting to me, circle great words and words I don't know, write questions in the margins, make connections to other texts and to myself. I am basically having a conversation with the author as I read, of course it's a one way conversation but it keeps me focused and is easier to recall powerful points that I refer to in the future.

Here are but a few of the sections I wrote over:
"We are living in the middle of the largest increase in expressive capability in the history of the human race."
"Owning a television does not give you the capability to make TV shows, but owning a computer means that you can create as well as receive many kinds of content, from the written word through sound and images. Amateur production, the result of all this new capability, means that the category of "consumer" is now a temporary behavior rather than a permanent identity."
This really reminded me of something I heard Marco Torres say: "The laptop is my stage where I can perform for the whole world."

A few more:
"A wikipedia article is not a product but a process."
"It's when a technology becomes normal, then ubiquitous, and finally so pervasive as to be invisible, that the really profound changes happen, and for young people today, our new social tools have passed normal and are heading to ubiquitous, and invisible is coming."
Reminds me of Chris Lehman when he talks about technology needs to be ubiquitous like oxygen, you don't think about until there is none.

1 comment:

  1. Informaotion overload? You've got that right.

    I've blogged more about Shirky than any other author - mostly because I find his ideas to be highly intruiging and in line with exactly what I've been thinking for years, but for some reason unable to say.

    ReplyDelete