Here is an excerpt of the assignment:
How to Get the Most Out of Your 7 Habits Experience
Like a warm-up before a workout, this 7 Habits Warm-Up will only take you about 10–15 minutes to complete and will make a huge difference in the value you get out of the program.
To complete your Warm-Up, please do these things:
1. Read “The Promise.”
2. Answer the preparation questions.
Please bring these Warm-Up pages with you to the program.
Read “The Promise”
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Signature Program is one of the most respected and popular learning experiences available. These habits will have a significant and positive impact on your life. Below is a summary of the 7 Habits and the kind of results you can expect. Take a few moments and note which of these promises interests you most. Draw a circle around the ones you really want to focus on.
Habit 1: Be Proactive ~ The Habit of Choice
- You'll find out how to take charge of your own future.
- You'll increase your influence at work and in your life
Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind ~ The Habit of Vision
- You'll do things and achieve the goals you've always wanted to.
- You'll have a greater sense of purpose and fulfillment in your life.
Habit 3: Put First Things First ~ The Habit of Integrity and Execution
- You'll be less crisis-driven and more in control of your life and your time.
- You'll enjoy more life balance and peace of mind.
Habit 4: Think Win-Win ~ The Habit of Mutual Benefit
- You'll build dramatically stronger and more productive relationships
- You'll discover ways to solve problems and build relationships at the same time.
Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood ~ The Habit of Mutual Understanding
- You'll grow in understanding of the most important people in your life.
- You'll improve your ability to communicate effectively.
Habit 6: Synergize ~ The Habit of Creative Cooperation
- You'll be able to deal more productively with conflict
- You'll be able to find strikingly creative solutions to problems and opportunities
Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw ~ The Habit of Renewal
- You'll find yourself growing and improving, feeling better, and living a more purposeful life.
- You'll have greater work and life balance.
Answer the Preparation Questions
With those promises in mind, think about the following questions and write your answers below. Please bring this page with you to the program.
1. Where would I really like to become more effective in my life (e.g., relationships, projects, goals I’m working on)?
2. What long-term contribution would I really like to make in my current role at work?
3. What is the most significant thing I could do in my work that, if done consistently, would have the most positive impact?
4. What is the most significant thing I could do in my personal life that, if done consistently, would have the most positive impact?
I have read Dr. Covey's book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People years ago but do believe it's time to dust that classic off and give it a reread. I will answer the questions above over the course of the next couple of days here at my blog. In the meantime, here is Stephen Covey speaking to Habit 1: Be Proactive .