Sunday, June 09, 2013

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai had finally made it to the top of my "Books to Read" pile and I was immediately drawn into Ha's story.

Perhaps it was the author's succinct prose poetic style of writing that gave me a chance to create crisp images of Ha's story that drew me in.  Or perhaps it was my personal connection with the Vietnam War and reading this story from a little Vietnamese girl's perspective.  Because of these reasons I give this 5 out of 5 stars and would gladly recommend this book to my fifth grade students.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

"Mother says,
People share 
when they know
they have escaped hunger.

Shouldn't people share
because there is hunger?"


"Whoever invented English
should have learned
to spell."  


"Oh, my daughter
at times you have to fight,
but preferably 
not with your fists."




If you get a chance get a hold of this book, you will not be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment