Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Saying Goodbye to Summer

Although this summer did not include an epic adventure to Disney Land or a cross country trip to the Grand Canyon I did manage to mindfully collect small moments along the way.

I'll be honest, relaxing over the summer is nearly impossible for me. It's because I'm not sure what "relaxing" really looks like.  Living life as a writer means that no matter where I go or what I do I am always seeking to find the magnificance in the mundane.

Eating breakfast outside on the porch or taking long walks through the woods becomes an epic adventure.  Watching my children jump into Grandma's pool or reading a fantastic book becomes a reflective journey of the endless summer days. Coffee with my wife in the silence of the early morning is surely a gift from God. A slow jog with my loyal dog through freshly mowed hay fields or shooting a rifle for the first time with my son are all pebbles added to the pile of small moments.

Of course there were day trips taken to State Parks and meals eaten at fancy family owned restuarants, but it was the quality time spent with family and friends that defines this summer for me.
So, as I say "goodbye" to summer I'd also like to say "thank you."  Thank you for giving me the chance to collect these small moments and truly finding the magnificance in the mundane.

Below is the digital story of this week's Slice of Life.


10 comments:

  1. Having trouble getting this comment to stick. This is my third try....normally, I would not try again...but I so enjoyed your post that I have to make another attempt. I liked that you read the words you wrote. The pictures were of beautiful places and everyone, including the dog, looked happy. I loved the barn picture. I take pictures of barns...and this one is perfect. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment - I really appreciate it! I have run by that barn dozens of times but for some reason on one particular day it happened to catch my attention. So, I stopped the run, took a photo, and then headed on my way.

      Delete
  2. You have a beautiful voice! I enjoyed seeing your small moments, and hearing your words. Summer is certainly a special time, even if we don't go far... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments Linda. Yes, this summer was wonderful without any grand adventures. As one of my friends calls it, we had a nice "staycation."

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your words and images John. I'm in love with digital stories. Looks like you had a great summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Digitalbonnie,

      I used the free web app "WeVideo" to create this digital story. I'm looking forward to trying this app out with students. I think they'll love it too!

      Delete
  4. I couldn't view the video. This was the error message I received:
    "html5: Network error
    https://www.wevideo.com/api/2/media/233603034/content"
    Is there another way for me to see it?

    Regardless, I love the idea of finding the magnificance in the mundane. That's what writing is all about, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that Stacey - not really sure what happened. Here's a link that I hope will work. https://www.wevideo.com/view/233603034

      Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Yes, finding the brilliance in the midst of the daily grind is indeed a benefit of living like a writer. It adds depth and fullness to life I suppose.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes staying around home/community is the best vacation. Enjoy the school year!

    ReplyDelete